Penistone East Ward
Cllr. Barnard was born in Barnsley and his family have been connected with the area for many generations; his father worked in the coal industry and his mother was a teacher. Currently self-employed he has previously held managerial positions with several local businesses. A natural sceptic, he is unwilling to embrace every passing fashion and will be amongst the first to challenge schemes which are unworkable, inefficient, un-scientific or just plain daft.
A member of the Conservative Party since 1983 he was first elected to the Council in 2006 and his current term end in May 2022 . Recognising that innovations are not always improvements he supports local people in their efforts to preserve the traditional character of their communities and the rural way of life.
He includes golf among his hobbies but says his handicap is the way he plays!
“Labour has always taken the people of this area for granted. However, unlike the urban centred Labour Council, the Conservative Group understands the problems faced by people in rural areas and is actively seeking innovative ways of maintaining services in these difficult times .” He says.
Cllr. Barnard represents your interests as:-
- Member of the Appeals and Awards Regulatory Board
- Member of the Children's Services Scrutiny Commission
- Member of the Housing and Community Safety Scrutiny Commission
- Member of the Corporate Parenting Steering Group
- Member of the Standards Committee
- Member of the Audit Committee
- Member of the Treasury Management Panel
- Chairman of the South West Area Partnership
- Member of the Penistone East Ward Panel
- Member of the Western Area Rural Transport Partnership
- Conservative Group representative on the Members’ Development Working Party
- BMBC representative on the Board of the Yorkshire Purchasing Organisation and Scrutiny Sub-Committee
- BMBC representative on Rural Action Yorkshire